Saturday 17 October 2015

That Saturday Morning



                  Okay, so boarding school was my choice- I dreamt about it, craved it, infact,i prayed for it! And yeah, the Heavens granted my wish, the beginning of  SS1 first term met in boarding school, looking back now….I’D STILL GO BACK TO THAT HOSTEL…well, I just couldn’t display this optimism that Saturday afternoon tho.
                 Let’s take a walk down memory lane… I kept that Golden Morn for months, ignored all the temptations from my guys, fought the nights of total hunger, finding solace in the watery dinning beans, at the same time consoling myself with the euphoria I’d experience when I finally soak my g-morn. But even as I write tonight, I still cannot fathom “why” I chose that Saturday, of all the days in the week, I decided to pick that Saturday Morning; we had been up since 6am, cleaning the dorm for the usual Saturday Morning Inspection (if you went to boarding school you will grab abeg), working assiduously in the toilets- Oh yes, I was a ‘toilet worker’-, scrubbing, sweeping, at the same time stomaching the insults from those lazy corridor sweepers. Oh my, the hunger that morning was just unequivocal; it was like the warriors in my stomach final decided to play ‘hide and seek’. Anyways, I knew in my heart of hearts that it was time, the hour had come and it was an unmistakable sign from up above -a sign to finally ‘launch’ my dearest g-morn (after the inspection)
                 Fast forward to a few hours later, I stylishly ditched my main guys and made my to my locker to ‘codedly’ soak my something… humming happily to myself…suddenly! From nowhere the thunderous voice boomed…”ADEBO!!! .....NO BE G-MORN BE THAT???..... OYA REPORT FOR HERE... NOW NOW!!!”  (I don’t think I can ever forget the sound of Senior Jude’s voice)…and there and then, I knew the game was over…I still remember how my heart was in my mouth while walking through the  literal ‘valley of the shadow of death’ –from Room7 to Room2 ( Senior Jude’s Corner), holding ‘my precious’ sheepishly. So, Jude took his bowl oo… and poured almost 75% of the something!, kai! If looks could kill sha! The guy no even send me at all… Like the unseen forces dealing with me were determined to serve me a total knockout-another senior saw the exchange and decided that Golden Morn would be his lunch!.. that one too poured like 22% of the remaining 3%- do the math abeg. Naso e take happen oo… in less than five minutes, my heart was broken, expectations shattered, all that was left would not even feed my neighbor’s 6 month old baby- they hadn’t even rang the dinning bell before I was on the queue for the rocklike yam and watery stew they serve on Saturday Morning!
           It's  a boarding school thingy, so  go ahead, crack some ribs and tell a story of how you didn’t have it easy in the hostel…..or were you one of those chilled out folks who can never really understand how it feels to be a “boarder”?
   

            PS; Senior Jude is now an Engineer and I can bet My Words he cannot remember That Saturday  Morning  (I really hope he gets to read this tho)  
                       
                             See y’all next week …. #shalla

3 comments:

  1. Bro, I feel ur pain. Bt on d oda hand, u knew wah u signed up 4, D Complete boarding experience... it didn't kill u dou, if I no 2. Sabi u I 4 tok say it made u stronger, let me jst say I started making u strong ...lol. Actually, na Unilorin dey make peepz stronger. Nice piece man, kip it up.. Jude baba, u no fit remember jawe, person wey shit go 4get bt person wey pack d. Shit go remember every second. #Nelzmeister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe..... It's funny now.... it wasn't then ooo... Better By Far ryt?... it makes us stronger 100%...thank you bro!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete